Wings Learning Center was created to address the academic and social needs of children with autism and communication disorders, making it possible for them to interact, learn and live with typically developing children.
Wings is a school for children between the ages of 5 and 22.
Respect for each child’s learning differences is the cornerstone of our philosophy.
Our mission is two-fold:
First to create a learning environment where children can learn academic, social and interactive skills at a self challenging pace.
Second, to provide education opportunities for professionals to obtain the necessary skills to promote effective inclusive environments for children with different learning abilities.
Who Do We Serve?
- We admit students with a diagnosis of ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorders) in the moderate to severe range
- We consider other types of students with genetic and neurological challenges that can benefit from our model
- We support students with significant challenges in communication, social interaction and restrictive patterns of behavior, interests and activities as well as sensory challenges
- We admit elementary and secondary students aged 5 to 22 years old
- We provide a program offering a functional based foundation not a high school diploma trajectory
What is our Approach?
- We use an interdisciplinary team of experts to address the needs of the student
- We believe in collaboration between disciplines (Education, Speech Pathology, Occupational Therapy, Behavior Management & Sensory Integration)
- We provide a functional based educational and therapeutic program
- We individualize each student’s program to support their developmental levels and address critical skill areas to promote independence
- We work in partnership with the family and believe in helping our families discover the talents, gifts and strengths of our students
- We utilize TEACCH, SCERTS and Sensory Processing lens in designing a program of benefit
- We believe in small classroom sizes
- Our goal is to reduce the need of the student to depend on adults to regulate and engage and learn
- We believe in preparing our students to access their community for recreation, vocation and independent living
- We encourage age appropriate peers to integrate into our program
- We encourage universities & research centers to partner with us
- We strive to reach out into the greater community to educate, train and become a constant resource