San Jose Public Libary offers a number of programs and services:
- drop in Homework centers at most branches
- Audio books, Large print books, telephone and e-mail help for users with disabilities
- Free online tutoring for grades 4 through sophomore year of college at www.SJLibrary.org/live_tutor.htm
- Preschool storytimes at Tully, Alviso, Santa Teresa and Vineland Branches
- teen reading rooms at Willow Glen, MLK and other branches
- Partners in Reading
- Inclusive Insiders
Partners in Reading (PAR) enables English-speaking adults and their families to improve their basic literacy skills so they can achieve their goals and function more effectively at home, in the community, at work and as lifelong learners.
Partners in Reading provides free one-to-one and small group tutoring for adults whose reading or writing skills are below the ninth grade level. To qualify, an adult needs to speak and understand English at a conversational level. Both tutors and learners are required to make a six-month commitment to meet three hours per week. Tutoring is provided by trained volunteers at the King Library, a San Jose Public Library system branch or another public site in San José.
Inclusive Insiders programs are geared towards adults with developmental/intellectual disabilities. Join us for socializing, finding new friends, networking, making jokes, crafting, having fun with art, learning from speakers in the community, and much more. Please confirm the date and time at each library.
- Bascom Branch Library, 1000 S Bascom Ave, San Jose (408)808-3077: Second Mondays at 1 pm.
- Calabazas Branch Library, 1230 S Blaney Ave, San Jose (408)808-3066: Second Fridays at 12:30 pm.
- Rose Garden Branch Library, 1580 Naglee Ave, San Jose (408)808-3070: Fourth Fridays at 12 pm.
- Tully Branch Library, 880 Tully Road, San Jose (408)808-3030: First Thursdays at 10 am.
- West Valley Branch Library, 1243 San Tomas Aquino Rd, San Jose (408)244-4747: Second Fridays at 10:30 am.
To arrange an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act for library-sponsored events, please call 408-808-2397 (General collections) or 408-808-2083 (TTY) at least three business days prior to the event.