San Jose Public Libary offers a number of programs and services:
- drop in Homework centers at most branches
- Audio books, Large print books, telephone and e-mail help for users with disabilities
- Free online tutoring for grades 4 through sophomore year of college at
- Preschool storytimes, inclusive storytimes. check calendar for the next event!
- teen reading rooms
- inclusive storytimes
Partners in Reading
What Does Partners in Reading Do?
- Helps adult learners improve their reading: Free one-to-one and small group tutoring for adults. Adults must have reading or writing skills that are below the ninth grade level. To qualify, an adult learner needs to speak and understand English at a conversational level.
- Connects tutors with learners: Trained volunteers provide free tutoring at the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Library, a San José Public Library branch, or another public place. Tutors and learners must commit to meet three hours per week for six months or more.
- Promotes family learning: Through Together We Read, adult learners and their children receive free resources and learn the joy and value of reading and learning together.
- Provides technology coaching: Adult learners build essential technology skills in the computer lab. Volunteer technology coaches instruct in sending emails, applying for jobs, as well as using smart devices such as ereaders, tablets, and smart phones.