Students in our Learning Assistance Department (LAD) are part of a unique program in the LACS Middle School which offers them the opportunity to benefit from specialized learning programs as they prepare for high school.
- Provides a continuation of services for middle school students and families from our excellent Learning Assistance Department (LAD)* which helps students with learning differences achieve eventual high school enrollment. The LAD at the middle school level is designed to help students transition from a self-contained, personal classroom to a larger and more complex environment with rotating classrooms and changing teachers who are providing accommodations and/or modifications to enhance student learning.
- Ensures students the added accommodations, time, and tools recommended on their accommodation checklist leading to academic success.
- Allows for more study time, extra time on tests, and study methods assistance.
- Teaches executive function strategies for improving performance and enhancing skills.
- Incorporates appropriate technology to meet students’ needs, such as: laptops for written assignments, calculators, the Kurzweil system for test-taking situations, and the use of Dragon Naturally Speaking software.
- Provides the dedication of our Director of Learning and Instruction and a LAD teacher/advocate who notes accommodations/modifications for students and disseminates that information to all middle school teachers while also following up with students and parents to ensure the program is promoting student learning and growth.
- Teaches students to advocate for themselves.
- Offers Sign Language as a foreign language, which gives students with language-based differences a more kinesthetic way to learn a foreign language.
- Provides a special Language Arts class (separate classes for 6th, 7th, and 8th grades) and if needed, a general math class.