Child Protective Services is a 24 hour service provided on behalf of children in San Mateo County who are newborn to age 18 and alleged to be the victims of child abuse, neglect, or exploitation.
Staff provide public social services which are directed toward:
- Protecting and promoting the welfare of all children
- Preventing, remedying, or assisting in the solution of problems which may result in the neglect, abuse, or exploitation of children
- Preventing the unnecessary separation of children from their families (when not removing the child is desirable and possible) by identifying family problems, assisting families in resolving their problems, and preventing breakup of the family
- Restoring children back to their families after they have been removed
- Identifying children to be placed in suitable adoptive homes, in cases when restoring them to their biological family is not possible or appropriate
- Assuring adequate care of children away from their homes, in cases when the child cannot be returned home or cannot be placed for adoption