ACFD, our Association
A support group was originally formed in 1984 by Chinese parents with children
who have special needs. These parents had participated in parent education and
training projects that emphasized mutual help and support.
After several years of participating in community activities and due to an increase
in the number of families needing this type of support, the group decided to
incorporate in 1989 as a nonprofit organization and became known as the
ASSOCIATION FOR CHINESE FAMILIES OF THE DISABLED. The Association
currently includes over 1,000 families who reside in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Our Goal and Objectives:
- To provide bilingual information, education, and support to Chinses families
who have children with disabilities;
- To disseminate information regarding appropriate community resources to
- To promote public awareness of individuals with special needs in our
- To promote advocacy and networking;
- To promote program development to fill unmet needs in the community;
- To promote outreach in the Chinese community through local media,
newspapers, and the Association's bi-monthly newsletters; and
- To raise funds for self-support.
ACTIVITIES AND PROGRAMS The Association sponsors a number of annual activities, which include a Chinese New Year Potluck Luncheon a one-day Parent Conference, a summer field trip, and a fundraising event. The Association has plans to open an adult residential facility, which would serrre up to 6 individuals with developmental disabilities; there is also a plan to start an inclusive afterschool program, possibly in San Francisco. The Board of Directors holds bi-monthly meetings, which are open to the public.